Last Updated on
Do you think brewing coffee is always a complicated procedure? It really isn’t so when using a French Press. The technique requires the use of a plunger that makes the process much easier in comparison to drip coffee makers.
There’s no denying that French Press brewing is easy but that’s only applicable when you’re not using a lousy coffee maker. To avoid preparing a brew that’s only average-tasting and to prevent over-extraction, you need the best French Press coffee makers.
So let’s have a look at the top 15 contenders available today!
Table Of Contents
- The 15 Top-Rated French Press Coffee Makers
- Our Top Choice – Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker
- Runner-Up Choice – Kona French Press Coffee Maker
- Best Budget Choice – Bodum Brazil French Press Coffee Maker
- Best High-End Choice – Frieling USA Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press
- Best for Travel – Bodum Stainless Steel Travel Coffee Press
- Best Stoneware Choice – Le Creuset PG8200-1017 Stoneware French Press
- Large French Press Coffee Makers: Secura French Press Coffee Maker
- Sterling Pro French Press
- Coffee Gator French Press
- La Jolie Muse French Press Coffee Maker
- OXO 1181100 Brew Venture Travel French Press
- Bodum Columbia Thermal French Press
- Small French Press Coffee Makers: Brillante Small French Press Coffee Maker
- Bean Envy Professional Grade French Press Coffee Maker
- French Press Coffee Makers – Why They Work and Who Should Buy Them?
- Factors That Determine the Best French Press
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
- Related Posts
The 15 Top-Rated French Press Coffee Makers
- Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker
- Kona French Press Coffee Maker
- Bodum Brazil French Press Coffee Maker
- Frieling USA Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press
- Bodum Stainless Steel Travel Coffee Press
- Le Creuset PG8200-1017 Stoneware French Press
- Secura French Press Coffee Maker
- Sterling Pro French Press
- Coffee Gator French Press
- La Jolie Muse French Press Coffee Maker
- OXO 1181100 Brew Venture Travel French Press
- Bodum Columbia Thermal French Press
- Brillante Small French Press Coffee Maker
- Bean Envy Professional Grade French Press Coffee Maker
Our Top Choice – Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker
Brewing coffee the Bodum way means brewing original French Press coffee. This classic coffee maker features high-quality craftsmanship in the form of a high-quality, ultra-light, strong borosilicate glass beaker. This offers heat resistance to an impressive degree.
Then the stainless-steel material spiral plate makes sure the mesh filter remains in place to only allow water, and not ground coffee, to go through. This spiral is flexible, no doubt, for a better universal fit that takes into consideration the tolerance of glass jugs.
The filter plate is also made of stainless steel, and it’s yet another key component here. It’s because the filter plate separates your favorite ground coffee from water once the brewing is over.
Let me tell you that the filter, plunger, and glass are all dishwasher-safe, except for the lid and frame. Speaking of the lid and frame, these parts are chrome plated, which explains the long-lasting shiny surface. Even the black polypropylene handle has a durable matte finish.
Needless to say, the Bodum way of preparing French Press coffee exceeds all expectations. And why wouldn’t it when the tough borosilicate glass can withstand high heat for daily usage!
Bodum Chambord Key Features
- Dishwasher-friendly glass, filter, and plunger
- Highly heat-resistant yet ultra-light borosilicate glass
- Substantial metal frame and spill-proof safety lid
Runner-Up Choice – Kona French Press Coffee Maker
Would you believe me if I said you can prepare coffee that tastes as delicious as the one you get at a world-class Barista? If you don’t, then you certainly haven’t used this Kona creation.
The classic French Press coffee maker under the spotlight extracts coffee bean essential oils the most effectively. Every cup is bound to be packed with a unique, bold flavor, which is something you don’t get with paper filters.
So it’s a huge relief to know that the coffee maker features a stainless steel filter screen system. And this 3-piece stainless steel infuser filter doesn’t interfere with the taste or flavor of your favorite coffee beans.
As you can see, the design of the coffee maker is quite modern. Even in terms of quality, expect no disappointments. It’s the courtesy of the thermal shock-resistant borosilicate glass. And just so you know, you can use this French Press to brew cold iced coffee and iced tea as well.
Kona French Press Key Features
- Extra thick, crack and chip-resistant borosilicate glass
- BPA/BPS-free lid
- Detachable, dishwasher-friendly stainless steel filter
Best Budget Choice – Bodum Brazil French Press Coffee Maker
The best French Press 2020 list should also include a budget-friendly pick. And that is none other than this Bodum Brazil French Press. It’s functional, attractive design, in no way, seems like an affordable choice.
The expensive-looking classic coffee maker allows you to prepare your brew the most easily. All you have to do is add your favorite coarsely ground coffee beans and hot water (between 195-degrees and 205-degrees Fahrenheit) to activate optimal extraction.
The French Press brings out the full flavor profile and essential oils of your coffee in only four minutes. Just press on that plunger to lock those grinds in the bottom and to halt brewing.
The lid, handle, and body of Bodum is made using BPA-free plastic. As for the beaker, it’s constructed with heat-resistant, tough borosilicate glass. The plunger and filter are stainless steel parts, thus no paper filters and no waste.
Bodum Brazil Key Features
- Dishwasher-safe French Press coffee maker
- Thick borosilicate glass with a secure handle
- Simple, durable, stainless steel, fine mesh filter
Best High-End Choice – Frieling USA Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press
What about this iconic Frieling French Press makes it so different from the lot? For starters, it’s the best French Press made in USA, that’s for sure. Secondly, the coffee maker features a double-walled insulated body and lid.
The double insulation helps in retaining heat better in comparison to borosilicate glass. It can stay hot for a much longer time. On top of that, stainless steel is the only material used. That implies no chances of glass shattering or corrosion.
This all-metal, durable French Press is also outfitted with an exclusive 2-stage filter mechanism. That consists of a pre-filter and super-fine mesh. Moreover, the metal wire within the coil allows the plunger to press down more strongly.
Even the anti-drip spout is a very useful feature as it creates a mess-free experience. In my opinion, it’s a very well-made stainless steel coffee maker that is also dishwasher-safe for convenience. You can use the pot for preparing cold brew and brewing loose tea as well.
Frieling USA Double Wall Key Features
- Double-wall insulation in the body and lid
- A patented 2-stage filter system
- Comfortable, full-length handle
Best for Travel – Bodum Stainless Steel Travel Coffee Press
Who says you have to make do with bad coffee or no coffee at all when outdoors? As a genuine caffeine lover, please note that you never should or have to compromise. Even if that means carrying this portable Bodum French Press to work.
You get a single-serving of hot, fresh French Press coffee. The double-walled stainless steel design features a vacuum seal for maintaining the high temperature of your fresh brew for hours. At the same time, the coffee maker is cool to touch.
The silicone grip is non-slip. The French Press, on top of that, is easy to use as long as you’re adding coarsely ground coffee. You only need to wait 4 minutes before pressing down on that plunger and devouring your favorite coffee or tea.
Bodum Stainless Steel Travel Key Features
- Double-walled, vacuum-sealed stainless steel
- Spill-resistant lid
- Travel-friendly non-slip grip
Best Stoneware Choice – Le Creuset PG8200-1017 Stoneware French Press
The most delicious and flavorful coarsely ground coffee deserves a companion like this Stoneware French Press by Le Creuset. Its mesh sieve plunger filters away coffee beans the most flawlessly. Since water and beans come in direct contact, you get a much stronger flavor.
Even loose tea leaves can be a part of the show here. The mesh press and plunger are all made of stainless steel. Furthermore, there’s a non-porous enamel coat that resists cracking, chipping, staining, and odors.
The stoneware, just so you know, is durable and high-fired with a glossy enamel finish. And the whole thing is dishwasher-friendly for easy, quick, effortless cleaning. You get to make the most of benefits like beautiful craftsmanship and hot coffee every single morning.
Le Creuset PG8200-1017 Stoneware Key Features
- High-fired, long-lasting stoneware
- Smooth-working stainless steel plunger
- Easy disassembly and dishwasher-friendly
Large French Press Coffee Makers: Secura French Press Coffee Maker
With a stainless steel exterior and interior, this French Press is built to outlast just about any coffee maker you might have used till now. The double-walled construction ensures that along with superior thermal retention.
On top of that, the 3-layered filter construction earns bonus points as it traps the tiniest coffee grounds for delivering a fuller-bodied flavor. The cool touch, comfortable knob and handle pave the way for safe pouring. So from start to finish, everything is pretty much well taken care of.
- Thermal-retention, double-walled construction
- 3-layered filter structure
- Dishwasher-safe, easy pouring, and cool-touch handle/knob
Sterling Pro French Press
If there’s any coffee maker that made it to every best French Press 2019 list, it’s the one I’m reviewing right now. SterlingPro gives you the wonderful opportunity to prepare coffee quickly without compromising on taste, flavor, and quality.
You can rely on this French Press to remain rust-free. It’s also plastic-free by the way. 100-percent stainless steel and even dishwasher-safe, the coffee brewing wonder keeps your caffeine-infused beverage hot for longer while remaining cool on the outside.
It’s a very simple yet timeless creation you can put to use even for tea and hot chocolate.
- Double-screen filter system
- Double-wall stainless steel insulation
- All stainless steel parts are dishwasher-safe
Coffee Gator French Press
The thing that’s so special and unique about this one is the exceptional double-filtered structure inside. It makes sure every coffee ground stays away from your drink. The spring guard takes care of holding everything in place and enabling easy, efficient plunging.
Another feature you might be incredibly thankful for is the traveling container that comes with this French Press. It can hold quite a lot of coffee grounds or beans to prepare 2 full batches. The thing is reinforced using stainless steel to tolerate whatever you throw at it.
- A sediment-free double filtration system
- Heavier, thicker stainless steel construction
- Matching travel container for coffee grounds/beans storage
La Jolie Muse French Press Coffee Maker
An aesthetically crafted French Press can make a great gift for your loved ones or yourself. It has a beautiful, long-lasting copper mirror finish with double-wall insulation. Cool on the outside and heat retention on the inside; it’s the best coffee brewing experience.
The bonus stainless steel filter certainly steals the limelight in this case. You get to stack more screens, which means your favorite espresso coffee has a more refined taste because even the smallest grounds get trapped. Therefore, you can devour fuller-bodied coffee at home.
- 3-layered filter system
- Food-grade, rust and crack resistant stainless steel
- Easy to unscrew and clean plunger and filter
OXO 1181100 Brew Venture Travel French Press
The word “travel” in the product title is enough to lure you in, especially if you’re a genuine coffee lover. That means no more having to settle for a cup of coffee no matter where you are. This French Press prepares flavorful, full-bodied coffee each time.
The durable Tritan carafe is a shatter-resistant thing. You can take it with you for your camping, hiking, and other travel adventures. The comfortable handle and non-slip knob make pressing and pouring feel like a breeze. And this type of convenience truly does matter.
- Shatter-resistant, durable Tritan carafe
- Plunger and spout filters included
- Convenient windows display coffee levels clearly
Bodum Columbia Thermal French Press
Let me introduce you to a Bodum French Press that gives you 8 whole cups of coffee within minutes. It’s all about more coffee and quick brewing, isn’t it? The double-walled stainless steel creation keeps your fresh brew hot for 2 long hours.
It’s a thermal coffee maker crafted with a 3-part plunger, also made of stainless steel. And the spill-proof safety lid makes sure the delicious contents don’t spill to create a mess.
If you really like to drink your coffee hot, then you should seriously consider getting this one.
- Silicone seal-equipped, leakproof plunger
- Thermal stainless steel construction
- Fine mesh filter for retaining coffee flavors
Small French Press Coffee Makers: Brillante Small French Press Coffee Maker
It’s hard to prepare a fresh brew using a French Press with no coffee grounds floating in the cup. It may be hard otherwise but not when you’re using Brillante. It’s a small, portable borosilicate glass French Press that prepares a clean, grounds-free, delicious brew.
All thanks to the mesh screen installed in the pouring spout. Besides the fine mesh screen plunger of course. The grounds certainly stay away while paving the way for all the rich, aromatic coffee oils, body, and flavors.
- Pour spout mesh screen also included
- Single-serve, compact French Press
- BPA-free, temperature-resistant, and dishwasher-safe
Bean Envy Professional Grade French Press Coffee Maker
Would you find this last option more appealing if I told you that it comes with a premium milk frother? If you’re a coffee fanatic, much like everyone at Koobies coffee here, then the answer to that question is more likely to be YES.
This Bean Envy French Press has a professional-grade filter and is made of strong borosilicate glass. With a BPA-free base and lid, ergonomic handle, and stainless steel plunger, you can elevate your at-home brewing experience.
But the fact that a high-quality milk frother is included means this is the perfect choice for preparing the most delicious homemade lattes.
- An elegant, functional, durable borosilicate glass carafe
- Over-engineered stainless steel filter screens and plunger
- Premium milk frother also included
French Press Coffee Makers – Why They Work and Who Should Buy Them?
In the simplest words, French Press brewing is the most traditional. The process is very straightforward because all you have to do is pour your favorite coffee grounds and let them steep in hot water.
So for those who don’t want to put in much effort yet wish to devour delicious, full-bodied, rich, flavorful coffee are more likely to enjoy using these types of coffee makers. Also, a French Press allows all the coffee oils and flavors to stand out.
Even coffee lovers who simply dislike using paper filters because they tend to destroy the rich, aromatic essential oils of their favorite coffee prefer the French Press. The brewing technique involves no paper filters to ensure proper extraction and keep acidity from shooting up.
And lastly, this kind of brewing equals easy clean-up. You just remove the detachable parts and drop them in your dishwasher. An ideal solution for caffeine addicts with a busy lifestyle.
Factors That Determine the Best French Press
If you want to stay away from cheap knock-offs and avoid wasting money, then do take the following characteristics into consideration…
1. Stainless Steel vs. Borosilicate Glass vs. Plastic vs. Stoneware/Ceramic
The most common ones I’ve reviewed are constructed using either borosilicate glass or stainless steel. The former looks pretty, no doubt. But it doesn’t offer the high heat-retention capacity that the latter is very popular for providing.
Stainless steel French Presses are equipped with double-walled insulation for superior heat retention. So the choice between the two actually depends on how long you let your fresh brew sit idle before you drink it. If not too long, then feel free to go for borosilicate glass.
But there are many other reasons too why stainless steel seems like a better option. The material is not prone to shattering like glass, thus more accident-proof. On top of that, stainless steel hands out more temperature control.
Then comes ceramic or stoneware that is less commonly used for designing French Press carafes. Obviously, it’s a more expensive selection. Stoneware coffee makers have an internal coating that resists odors and stains.
They may be averse to extreme temperatures and sturdy, but they’re also susceptible to breakage like glass.
As for plastic French Press carafes, make sure the plastic used is BPA-free. Only this kind can tolerate boiling water without leaching chemicals or warping.
This factor once again depends on your personal needs and preferences. Such as are you brewing just one cup or more than that?
The standard sizes include 12 ounces and 34 ounces. The first is great for 1 to 2 large cups of coffee. And 34 ounces is best for brewing for a group of caffeine lovers. Or for you if you are in the habit of consuming more cups of coffee in a day.
3. Plunger and Filter System
Make sure your French Press is outfitted with a stainless steel plunger and filter system.
However, the steel mesh of the filter may not be as efficient and fine as the one used for pour-over or drip coffee when it comes to keeping out bits of sediment. Even so, it filters small coffee grounds quite flawlessly. So if you prefer a gritty brew, then use too fine grind size with a metal filter.
At the same time, French Press stainless steel filters keep the original, delicious, aromatic flavors and oils of your favorite coffee intact, unlike other filters.
But these coffee oils are not always healthy as they tend to increase cholesterol, which is why many coffee enthusiasts go for paper filters.
The next is the plunger. This particular brewing method demands plunging gently. Make sure the plunger handle is installed at the top with the rod extending down through the French Press. Also, ensure that the stainless steel plunger moves up and down smoothly.
4. Ease of Use and Cleaning
The best part here is that a French Press doesn’t require electricity or a complicated mechanism to work. The brewing method is very simple and straightforward as long as the many delicate parts installed are made of durable, tough stainless steel.
In terms of cleaning, dishwasher-friendly carafe, lid, filter system, etc. are the most convenient. These components are often also easy to detach and assemble.
It’s only natural for true caffeine addicts to go everywhere with their precious coffee maker. So for a French Press to be portable, it has to be lightweight. In that case, stainless steel models are the most suitable. Unlike glass or stoneware, which is heavy to carry and prone to breaking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What coffee grind size is the best for French Press?
Without the shadow of a doubt, coarsely ground coffee works best with a French Press. Avoid a grind size that’s too fine because that tends to seep through the plunger filter and invade your cup. And this doesn’t taste pleasant unless you prefer a gritty brew.
Fine coffee grounds also lead to over-extraction and bitterness in the case of the French Press. So go for a coarse grind when working with such finer mesh screen filters, preferably coarse to medium-coarse.
Q. How to prepare the best coffee using a French Press?
Before you press down on that plunger, you’ve got to allow your coffee to steep enough in the hot water. Only then does the full flavor gets extracted.
Just don’t get frustrated if you fail to brew the perfect cup the first time itself. It might take some trial and error. Simply follow the instructions below…
- Use coarsely ground coffee for French Press. Make sure it’s freshly roasted and freshly ground. One tablespoon for each serving should suffice.
- Boil some water in a pot or kettle. Let this water reach a temperature between 195-degrees and 205-degrees Fahrenheit. The coffee to water ratio should be 1 cup of water for 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds.
- Pour only half the amount of water into the French Press. Let the delicious coffee bloom for at least 1 minute.
- Then pour the remaining hot water. Allow this to sit for 3-4 minutes. But for a stronger brew, steep for longer.
- Now it’s time to press down on the plunger gently. Push it down as far as it can go.
And your coffee is ready to serve!
Q. How to make cold brew in a French Press?
You obviously are not going to drink a cup of hot coffee when the summer sun feels like it’s baking everything outside.
In that case, here’s how to prepare cold brew the French Press way…
- Add coarse ground coffee into the carafe.
- Then pour a cup of water at room temperature, and stir. Please note that for every one cup of water, you should be adding one tablespoon of ground coffee.
- Place the lid over the French Press and refrigerate it overnight or for at least 10-12 hours.
- After that time, you can press down on the plunger and devour your cold brew however you like.
Q. What size of French Press is perfect for me?
It’s always a better idea to buy a coffee maker that serves more than just one cup. Having more within reach is always a good idea for a coffee lover. Or for someone who has to prepare the beverage for a group of people.
The most common sizes start from 3 cups and go up to 12 cups.
Q. Is French Press coffee bad for health? If yes, then why?
I’m just going to state it simply and honestly. French Press brewing fails to filter out this sediment called Cafestol. It leads to an increase in your bad cholesterol levels. But that’s not such a big deal as long as you’re keeping your consumption to a minimum.
Q. How to clean a French Press?
Keep in mind that a dirty French Press prepares bad-tasting coffee. So here are the proper instructions for making sure it’s thoroughly clean…
- Detach the plunger and fill warm water in the French Press halfway through.
- Use this water to loosen all the coffee grounds that are stuck in the bottom simply by swishing it around.
- Hold a mesh strainer over your kitchen sink before pouring all the water of the French Press into it.
- Then mix some warm water and dish soap inside the coffee maker. And pump a few times using the plunger. This helps in getting rid of coffee stains and oils. You can even use a bottle brush with baking soda for scrubbing away stubborn residue.
- Now rinse the whole thing well using clean water. And then wipe the French Press dry using a clean, dry, soft cloth.
Don’t have the time or patience to do this? Then make sure you buy a French Press that is dishwasher-friendly.
Using a French Press means preparing coffee that tastes better. The thing about drip coffee makers is that they use paper filters. And these tend to soak up a lot of the delicious, unique flavors and oils present in your favorite coffee.
But with the metal mesh filters of French Press, the said tragedy gets averted. Every single ounce of the rich, flavorful, exquisite coffee oils and flavors are allowed to pass through in the case of this particular brewing technique.
But that’s only if your French Press is a high-quality, well-made coffee maker. Only then can you enjoy the more robust and richer flavor. I have reviewed some of the best stainless steel, glass, and stoneware French Press coffee makers.
Stainless steel and glass are the most common because of many reasons. Stainless steel is highly heat-resistant and damage-proof. As for borosilicate glass, it looks more elegant. And it’s the perfect choice for those who don’t let their coffee sit idle for too long after brewing.